How Can I Become A Great Manager?
If you are just starting out as a manager or have been in the job and want to become a great manager and leader, OlyLife suggests the following steps to improve your leadership skills.
10 Steps To Being A Great Manager And Leader
- Learn To Listen At Least Four Times As Much As You Speak – your associates (employees) will respect you for taking the time to listen to their thoughts and ideas.
- Demonstrate in words and action that you have a caring attitude regarding your associates and always treat each employee with respect.
- Involve your team to provide key input and let them know you appreciate their thoughts and ideas even if your ultimate decision goes in a different direction.
- Let your team know via your words and actions that you are results oriented and it is results that get rewarded – lead by example in your work ethic.
- Establish excellent communication on a regular basis with clear vision, goals and objectives such that each team member can tie their role to the vision. When asked, your team members ought to be able to state the company vision, the department’s strategic direction and goals as well as their personal objectives and action plans.
- Provide regular feedback to your direct reports and help develop them to be successful. There should never be a negative surprise when it comes to the annual performance review.
- Remove the road blocks that are preventing or delaying your employees from getting their job done in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Manage Up as well as down. Keep your boss appraised of the progress and share both the good and the bad news. Honesty is respected and will keep your manager from getting blind-sided.
- Develop key employees and prepare for your succession. If you are doing a great job, you don’t want to be held up because their isn’t anyone ready to fill your role should a promotional opportunity arise.
- Focus On The Key Results The Twenty Percent That Brings In Eighty Percent Of The Revenue. Don’t get bogged down in the minutia and miss the big picture.
Way To Become A Great Manager And Leader
If you follow the steps above, you will likely be well on your way to becoming a well respected and great leader. Remember, your success hinges on being a caring leader. If you just try these steps, without real concern for your employees or passion for the strategic direction and vision you will not become great. Your co-workers will be able to tell the difference as to whether you are just trying to follow a formula for success or if you are truly interested in building a great team. At the end of the day, your team has to come before your own personal desires and you certainly don’t want to be seen by your team or your boss, as someone who is really only concerned about yourself. As they say in the gadget tech gaming world that would be an “epic fail.” So, get passionate about helping your team with the above steps and make the most of your one and only life – That’s OlyLife!
More Career Advancement from OlyLife
How To Improve My Life
Please Comment – We Would Love To Hear From You!